April 8, 2007

Feliz Pascua!!!

Happy Easter, everyone! I have always loved Holy Week and the Triduum, especially after experiencing it abroad two years ago. While studying abroad, I spent part of Holy Week (or Semana Santa) in Spain, and then went to Italy. That was probably one of the most ambitious adventures of my life thus far: I went to Italy for 10 days on my own and it was great! During my time there I was able to visit Lisa Rumpza and Katie Loesch. I always think about that time there at this point of the Liturgical Year. So, here's what I was reminiscing about this past week:

I spent 3 days in Roma, venturing around one of my favorite cities in the world. I met a couple of great friends from Austria from my hostal: Michael (Michi) Zwantschko and Christian Granig. It was awesome because the Lord provided two "body guards" for me as we rode the Metro, bus system, and explored this amazing community... one on either side of me!
:) We explored Classical Rome the first day, and finished with a
walk so that I could see the Vatican for the first time. We got there at about 10:20 pm, with the gates closing at 11:00. Because of this, there was only one other person there. No tourist traps, people hawking rosaries, or horse-drawn carriages. It was just the Vatican as is: lit up, beautiful, in it's simple glory, with the lighted window of Pope John Paul II above in his final days as pope. It was perfect, and as I walked on my own, circling in prayer, I couldn't help but shed a few tears of joy and amazement at the Lord's goodness. (See Feb 18 post for picture. This one is of me and my Austrian buds with our respective flags.)

The next day (Holy Thursday) was dedicated to the more religious sites: The Vatican, Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's, and Holy Thursday mass with Lisa and other UST students. That mass was one of the most beautiful I have ever experienced: two hours, in Latin, with a freaking amazing choir! As is common for many Catholic parishes, there is often Eucharistic Adoration (when the Holy Eucharist is displayed for people to spend time praying in front of the presence of Jesus). Romans have a somewhat unique tradition where they go from church to church to church, visiting the Sacrament in all of these different places. So, we participated in this tradition and it was a great way to see a bunch of different churches! (This is the famous spiral staircase outside of the Sistine Chapel.)

I took the train up to Florence (Firenze) on Good Friday and was able to spend the Triduum with Katie and her Pepperdine friends. I also did a day trip up to Cinque Terre on Saturday for some hiking in the mountains along the Mediterranean (with a stop in Pisa en route). It doesn't get much better than that! To top it all off, we were able to go to Easter Sunday mass at the Duomo: the huge, gorgeous, very famous cathedral in Florence. The Florentines celebrate Easter like no other. .. ask me about that one! (Easter Morning in Duomo Piazza.)

I then continued this adventure / pilgrimage and headed to Siena, the hometown of one of my patron saints: St. Catherine of Siena. It was such a beautiful city with its central piazza of the "Il Campo". It is one of the best spots I have ever known for people watching, one of my favorite past-times. I spent a couple of hours there in the afternoon and then went back at night to enjoy a glass of wine while seated in a balcony overlooking the piazza. I met a middle-aged British photographer who was quite fun to talk to. Lovely!

Then onto Assisi, the city of peace. This is also the hometown of two of my other favorite saints: St. Francis of Assisi and St. Clare. I was able to visit a bunch of churches and just walk around. While abroad I developed a great love for olive trees... I know, it's weird, but they're stunningly beautiful! I was blessed by having my hostal located in the middle of an olive grove below the main city. I think one of my favorite moments was walking through the tradition-ridden streets and suddenly hearing music. I followed the sound into an unmarked church and proceeded to kneel and listen for a while. I then discovered that it was the local priest practicing his organ skills. Gotta' love it! I love Assisi... it served as the perfect retreat. I ate dinner at the hostal with a family from Turino and a seminarian from L.A. We ended up meeting a local priest that night who gave us a more in-depth tour of parts of the Cathedral of St. Francis.

Finally back to Roma for one more day of sight-seeing with Lisa and staying up most of the night before catching a 4:00am cab to the airport. Thus began my 17 hour day of travel back to Toledo that will live in infamy: a taxi to Ciampino airport in Rome's outskirts, fly to London (Stansted airport), go through customs, fly to Zaragoza (Spain), customs again, shuttle from airport to bus station, bus to Madrid, Metro to different bus station, bus to Toledo, walk to apartment with luggage, climb steps to 4th floor apartment, and collapse. Whew! For the record, JP2 died two days after my last day in Rome. I wasn't able to see him because of his frailty, but I was still there. What an amazing transition period to be in Europe! I'll never forget these ten days and the amazing ways the Lord showed his love and protection for me. Praise God!

One of my favorite parts about traveling, especially on my own, is being able to meet other travelers. This was a perfect example of that. Maybe I'll even see some of these international friends again... who knows. I think that this can be a real advantage to being in many situations where you put yourself out there to talk to new people with maybe only one other person that you know. Maybe I should try to keep this mindset in the forefront when talking to people about the Lord in our mission work.
:)

(This semester is the only thing I have ever scrapbooked and that book is a sight to behold if I do say so myself. I always love sharing stories and pictures from my adventures.)

1 comment:

Miss Mary Virginia said...

Karen- I spent 11 days in Italy two summers ago and I can't wait to share more stories the next time I see you! It was fun reading your post and remembering all my own!! I'm praying for all your discernment... it is such an exciting time!!!