April 7, 2007

A Revolution of Love

Not surprisingly, I have been thinking a lot about missionary work over the past few months. I decided a couple of weeks ago to go to the library and check out a bunch of books on my "to read or buy list". Sadly, they did not have Chasing the Dragon which probably tops that list. Oh well. I realized that I am guilty of severely underusing our public library system usually when I am at my parents'. Anyways, I ended up checking out a bunch of book on Pope John Paul II and Mother Teresa.

I took the time yesterday to read
A Revolution of Love: The Meaning of Mother Teresa in its entirety. And, as it was Good Friday, it was a great way to use my time. It was an easy, quick read and it gave me some new perspective on things. I think that one thing I easily overlook in my daily life is how each of us are called to minister to the poor. Obviously this includes those with a lower socio-economic status, but being poor can mean a lot of different things: the depressed, the lonely, the hungry, the social outcast, the alcoholic, the drug addict, the victimized, the abused, the person lacking support, and many other people. It doesn't have to be something big or elaborate. It doesn't have to be something organized through a committee. We are called to be missionaries to the poor every day. It can be as simple as giving someone a smile. "Smile five times a day at someone you don’t really want to smile at... We can never know how much good a simple smile can do."

We are called to "do something beautiful for God" in every moment... every moment lived in and through love. Without love, life proves to be useless. We are lucky enough to experience this love constantly throughout our lives. It is our duty to share this love with every soul that we meet. I have always known this, but sometimes it doesn't always sit in the forefront of my mind. Especially in relation to the poor. We need to remember this... it's our mission! Live life through the little things, in humility, with respect for all. I love what Mother Teresa says about this: "No one thinks of the pen while reading a letter, they only want to know the mind of the person who wrote the letter. That’s exactly what I am in God’s hand – a little pencil." Addonai, use me as your tool, your instrument in this world. Put me where you want me, doing what you have called me to, working with those I am destined to share my life with.

No comments: