April 12, 2007

A Great Gift

Tonight I was incredibly blessed by the opportunity to get together with a former classmate. We have literally known each other our entire lives, but have not seen each other in nearly two and a half years. I hate it when I lose contact with people, but I'm having to accept that it's just a part of life sometimes. I have kind of realized that there seem to be two main natures that friendships can take in this context. One, is that once contact is lessened or lost, it is extremely difficult to regain. The other path is where you can pick up again, right where you are in life without missing a beat. This friendship renewed tonight is certainly the latter.

I was able to go over to her new apartment and we spent nearly five hours together, just talking (plus exploring a favorite old bookstore and some delicious ice cream). We covered a gamut of topics and opened doors to many more conversations to come. I am hoping that with my upcoming proximity to her, that this renewal is able to be strengthened even further. We have both gone through a lot in our lives and have many exciting experiences and learned life lessons to share with one another.

But the biggest blessing? It was very clearly when I came to the realization that God has her in the palm of His Hand, whether or not she knows it. In the past, this dear friend of mine battled with a depression worse than many cases I have ever seen and she also struggled with eating disorders. Now she is healthy and stated to me enthusiastically, "Karen, I have never been so happy in my entire life! I am just bursting with joy and loving life." Her joy is my joy... I was elated. Lord, I would ask that You continue to draw her close and protect her as she continues on the path that You have set for her. Show her that You are still her God and her best friend. Whether or not she realizes it, I know the deep-seated love that she has for You. Show me the way to go and the words to speak. Let me radiate Your Love. Amen.

"We live, we love. We forgive and never give up 'cause the days we are given are gifts from above, and today we remember to live and to love." (Superchic[k])

No comments: