April 19, 2007

Midway Point

For the past four years I have had bits and pieces of my life in a few different worlds. This is not to say that I have lived completely separate lives, but the distinctions are clear. Care to take a gander into the trichotomy?

Obviously one of these worlds is that in which I go to school and live in Morris. Morris is a small, rural town in Western Minnesota amidst fields of corn and soybeans. The major features of the skyline poking out of the prairie are the Morris water tower, the ethanol plant (don't you just love the smell of ethanol in the morning?), and our really cool wind turbine. This 230 foot tall "windmill" provides about 60% of the entire campus' power. Since that is all renewable energy, it also makes UMM one of the greenest campuses in the country. I love my Morris life, but it's very different. I keep more than busy by studying Elementary Education, singing in Concert Choir, being involved in the local Newman Center, and forming many excellent friendships. Living in such a liberal learning community, I have been pushed way out of my comfort zone and learned a lot about tolerance and communication while still remaining true to my own beliefs. I am not afraid to be direct with people and provide a place where truth can be discussed. It was an adjustment to living the small town lifestyle, but it's been fun. I will miss these people a lot. I has been wonderful, but that phase is very quickly coming to a close.

Another huge part of my life is that in the People of Praise. I have my Women's group which consists of seven college women on four different campuses. Cathy Nordman (a wonderful woman in People of Praise) makes this unity possible. Evidence of this is seen by looking at her odometer. All of us are a part of the Campus Area, a vibrant illustration of area life in the Servant Branch. We do shared life really well: Lord's Days, social nights, works of service for one another, celebrations, etc... In our area, some things are very evident: we love good food, good drinks, and good conversation with good company. There is a vibrancy to our life in Campus Area.

However, I have also had a window into the world of Campus Division in the People of Praise. I love this way of life as well. This week, I'm actually seeing what day to day looks like here in Dinkytown / U of M (Twin Cities) Division life. It's been great having Jen make me a schedule every day... I don't have to plan anything! The life here is really full and rich. Ever since living in Allendale (Summer 2005) I have had a very strong desire to put life in common. That is how they live here: space, food, rent, cars, money, state in life, etc... It's a great way to live life too.

So, now I have some decisions and sacrifices to make. I know where my heart and determination lie, but it has been recommended to me that I go through this discernment slowly and methodically. So, that is what I intend to do.

No comments: