March 27, 2007

Way Overdue

I apologize for the severe lack of posts lately... it has been crazy chaotic and then sleep took over. Such is life! If you don't know already, i write this from the homeland of Minnesota. I don't think I ever realized how much I enjoy being able to come back to this beautiful state until I flew from the desert into this land filled with lakes and trees. Yes, El Paso has mountains, but still doesn't win my heart over completely. So, it is good to be back. However, it wasn't an easy last couple of days with my students.

I have really created a strong bond with my students in El Paso, my first real class that I've ever had where I felt that they were mine. This responsibility for them was obviously in the classroom, but it also spread to all parts of their lives (as it should). I wanted to figure out a way to say goodbye to these little people who have been my purpose and my livelihood over the past three months. I decided I would write each one of them a letter. I was able to get most of the twenty hand-written letters finished over Spring Break. However, I saved the ones that would be the hardest to write until the end. I had intended my students to bring them home and read them there, after we had already said goodbye.

I prepared myself for a fun, but assuredly emotional day on Friday and that's what I had. Short version: they ended up reading their letters at the end of the day as I passed them out. Some of them began to cry because of the truly heart-felt and encouraging notes that I had given them. They came up to hug me ("Group Hug!") and I started crying because they were crying. And because I was crying, even more of them started crying! I know, it was indeed a vicious circle of love. :) I would bet that within that last half hour of Friday when we said our goodbyes, that at least 3/4 of my students cried. I guess I know that they love me and I hope that also means that I made a difference within these few months.

During these few months, I really bonded with a few of my boys, often times the bigger trouble-makers out of the group. They need stability and to learn responsibility, so I admit that I gave them a bit more attention. I took the time to individually pull aside the three who I grew closest to at the end of Friday: Ricardo, Alfonso, and Angel. I reiterated some of what I had written to them in their letters, and it is certainly a tall order: "Promise me that you will always take the time to make good decisions. Never take the easy way out, because it's never worth it. Don't ever let anyone push you around and don't ever push anyone else around. Promise that you will always be a gentleman. Never let your anger get the best of you. Don't fight with others. You know that you're better than than, and I know that. Now show them that you're better than that. Choose your friends carefully and help each other make good decisions. Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Work hard, and you can do whatever you set your mind to."

So, I hope they stay in touch. These are the ones whose futures I am slightly concerned about, but I think they'll be ok. Well, I pray they'll be ok. God has taken care of them this far into their little lives, He's always got them in His sight. So, after some tears and more hugs than I can count to my kids, I did what I came to Texas to do. I taught them everything I could (not just academic content either), I spent time with them, I loved them, and then I let them go. It was a great three months and I will n
ever forget them, my first real class. Here's some pictures:
Here's some of my kids playing a Spelling game to review for their test. Sparkle, anyone? It was great fun and we're clearly having fun.

This is Angel. You'll notice the tears visibly streaming down his face. And yes, I was crying too. But, the picture taken immediately before this one was too sad to post. He's bawling. It's the saddest picture I've probably ever seen.

This is my class... well, almost all of them. Pretty cute, hunh? That's Alfonso with the attitude standing on his desk upper right. Ricardo is the one lurking in the background. I miss them already and love them tons. Father, watch over them and bless their futures. Give them the strength that they'll need to follow You and make good decisions each day. Amen!

No comments: