March 9, 2007

Six Flags Over Texas

As I previously mentioned, this week I have been teaching (and learning) about the Texas Revolution. Next week is the Alamo! So, we were having a discussion about it today and its relation to the Texas state flag. Anyways, my teacher brought up the information about where Six Flags (yes, the amusement park) got its name from. There are many Six Flags, but the first was in Arlington Texas and its full name is "Six Flags Over Texas". It derives its name from the SIX national flags that have flown over the state of Texas. Six! The lovely line-up of this national identity crisis in the making goes: France, Spain, Mexico, Republic of Texas, United States of America, and the Confederate States of America (and then back to the USA). Gotta' love that Texas pride! (Yes, it's a different world over here.)

After our field trip on Wednesday, we went to a park near the school for lunch and to play. I ended up reffing my first football game ever. It was pretty hot out (it's been in the mid to upper 70s all week). So, I borrowed my Ninah's baseball cap... Texas Longhorns! So, I'm running around with my kids, yelling, laughing, having a great time, in jeans, a T-shirt, hair in a pony tail, Texas Longhorns baseball cap on my head. "Do I look like I belong in Texas now?" "Yeah, Miss Coleman, you look cool!" "You look different!"
:) It was quite fun. We got back to school and I was still wearing the cap. I ran into one of my roommates in the hallway and she said she didn't even recognize me! Well, I guess I don't wear that many baseball hats, especially not with my professional teaching wardrobe. Almost the weekend!

No comments: