March 10, 2007

Kick off to Spring Break

So, it's officially spring break here in El Paso (as it is in many other locations around the country). We have the whole week off from teaching, which is honestly a little weird. You see, after Spring Break I only have 1 more week of teaching and I'm flying back to MN (for good) two weeks from today. I know, it's nuts. So, honestly, I would just as soon not have break now and get home a week earlier instead of staying here. (It's not that I don't love being here... but I think you see where I'm coming from.)

So last night was a great way to kick off spring break, we had a lot of fun. Alicia Mendez is a Morris alum living and working here in El Paso. She's the one I went to Mexico with. She wanted to hang out with us, so we met her for dinner at "Taco Cabana" which was really good for being a fast food place. (I had a delicious shrimp quesadilla.) Then we went to Marble Slab for ice cream and hung out for a while. We wrapped up the evening by going to the cheap theater and seeing "Stomp the Yard". I was mind-blowing! I love any form of dancing and this was radically different from what I'm used to. I have a lot of respect for those people. It also made me really glad that we don't have any Greek Society at Morris. I have enough sisterhood (and brotherhood) without it. The best thing about the night though? All of this came to a grand total of $5.00. Heck yes!

So, the Spring Break week begins. Mary and Kirsten are both heading to MN for the week and the significant others of Cara and Mal are down here. And then there's me! Hopefully there won't be many awkward situations. I want to do some hiking while I'm here and get to White Sands National Monument (1.5 hours) and maybe Carlsbad Caverns National Park (3 hours). I would like to go with some people, but if there's no interest, I'll probably go solo. Yeah for hiking and national parks! I may hang out with Alicia some later on this week too. She's down here with a program called the Master's Commission which she described kind of like a Christian Peace Corps. This upcoming week is their big spring festival and there's a lot of speakers coming in. It would be great to have some more Christian Fellowship down here, so we'll see how it pans out. Keep me in your prayers this week and God bless!

No comments: