February 26, 2007

Dinner in New Mexico

This past weekend was great. My roommates and I celebrated my upcoming birthday. Since we've been in Texas we haven't gone out to a steak house or for BBQ yet, and as a lover of good BBQ, I decided that's what I wanted to do. I found this place online called "The State Line Smokehouse & Grill" that sounded great. About 15 - 20 min from our apartment, with their own smokehouse on the grounds. Good reviews, so it was decided. They also said online that it was near the state line between TX and New Mexico (about 5 minutes or so). So, it sounded fun.

We got there and the food was great! Talk about huge portions. I decided to go all out with a combo plate of brisket, beef rib, pork ribs, peppered chicken, and their house recipe sausage. All that plus potato salad, beans, and coleslaw. I could eat about half of it. (Do you see the size of that beef rib?! It's bigger than my head... and boy, was it delicious!) Add onto that a big scoop of homemade vanilla bean ice cream that they gave me to celebrate the big 22 and I was beyond satisfied.


As we were leaving the restaurant, we walked through their beautiful patio and out to the parking lot. We noticed something interesting on the patio archway, though. "Now leaving New Mexico" What?! I knew we were
near the state line, but this restaurant actually straddles it! So, we parked in Texas and ate in New Mexico. It was great. I stood there with one foot on either side of the arch: "Woohoo, 2 places at once!" (Not quite as cool as being in four places at once at Four Corners: New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah... but still.) :) We came home, goofed around for a while, and then decided to play a game. So, amidst laugh attacks involving tears and side aches, we played a raucous game of Phase 10. I won! (It's only my second time ever playing.) It was a great night!

No comments: